Tuesday 16 February 2010

Why 'Kilburnia'? Why now?

It strikes me that anyone who started a blog at this late date had better have a passion they want to share, even if it's one which has newly occurred to them. I have, though it's crept up on me, a quiet obsession with Kilburn. I've resented living here, I've pined for the sunshine South of the River (once upon a time I lived in Peckham, brap brap), I've moaned at length about London in general to anyone who mistakenly asks my opinion...


But this is it. We live in Kilburn and we're not planning to move... until Mr Pie makes that a necessity. So I've made peace with the place and I'm actually finding things to like about it, things which arouse interest and even make me rhapsodial about its joys. Stop me if I'm getting too technical. Liking something, if it doesn't come naturally, is going to take some work. So this blog is that work. To quote from my favourite hippy-dippy book of inspiration, "In order to begin, we must start with where we are."

Kilburnia doesn't exist, apparently; it's more of a mythical empire like Borsetshire. Denied by estate agents and other tribes lacking in imagination, there's still a lot of evidence that Kilburn exists, even if some people get their pants in a jive trying to hide the place in 'West Hampstead Borders' or 'Greater Cricklewood'.

No comments:

Post a Comment