Tuesday 2 March 2010

Are they related?

Unrelated to Kilburnia, excepting the fact that I was reading Julia Cameron on the bus to Brent Cross today, news from the outside world. In today's G2, Wes Anderson answers the following question:

Which artist working today do you most admire?
- Richard Rogers, for his body of work and his approach to it.

Gosh, I thought, and by jimminy too. Is this the same Richard Rogers that Julia Cameron harps on about? (no offence to harpists, they make a lovely intelligent sound). The man who wrote umpteen musicals, some of them famous and many of them not... the point being that he simply wrote and wrote? Yes Wes, an admirable work ethic much like yours. I approve.

But now I'm having doubts. An artist working today? That can't be Rogers of Hammerstein fame - he died in 1979. Besides, he spelled his name 'Rodgers'. He must mean Rogers the architect, of Gherkin fame. What is his work ethic? I admit it must also be strong. But no, in answer to my question, they are not related, unless Wes has misunderstood the question and the Guardian has then rolled with this misunderstanding and added a typo like a cherry on top.

For the record, Wes Anderson is in my Top 10 for working-artists-most-admired.

No comments:

Post a Comment