Monday 8 March 2010

Bankers hours

Something is playing merry havoc with the upkeep of the blog. At the moment I get up at five-thirty (I know, even writing that down makes me feel tired) to get my 'serious' writing done before Mr Pie awakes. This seems to work and my pen-and-paper writing has really come along - in quantity, I'll say nothing for quality - but it means that at the end of the day, after Pie has gone to sleep, when I settle down to play at writing in the blogosphere, I'm dog tired and can hardly dredge up the energy to type.

I was comforted to read this in an interview with Dave Eggers in yesterday's Observer Review:

"I used to write in the middle of the night. I suppose I was surprised by the sedentary nature of writing. Like, wow, most of this is sitting down and typing! So I used to add a bit of adventure by starting at midnight and working until five. That was the excitement! But now I have two kids. So it's bankers hours for me."

I had that kind of superstitious nocturnal routine for writing as a student and O How I Loved It. And it wasn't having Pie in my life which put paid to it, it was having Mr Q. I think I'm still getting over the tremors of the cataclysmic shift he caused in my usual patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment