Saturday 20 March 2010

May their ears fall off

The other day I was a total idiot, proof of the old adage that there's one born every minute. It took me the rest of the week to get over it, and I feel I have to tell people as a sort of penance. Think of me of The Ancient Mariner for Modern Times. The moral of the story is clear: don't answer the phone whilst trying to feed supper to a baby. Read all about my stupidity in the letter I fired off to The Guardian's consumer champion, Capital Letters, once I realised what a dolt I'd been!


Dear Capital Letters,

I had a run-in with a company called Studio London recently. They rang to congratulate me on winning a competition (which I couldn't remember entering) for a 'magazine-style photo shoot' and I gullibly went along with it, managing to drown out the sound of alarm bells going off as I gave them my bank details and authorised them to remove £40 from my account for a holding deposit (for a prize!). I then read up on the company on the internet and found to my horror that this was only the start of Studio London's machinations: people who actually went to the photo shoot wrote of parting with hundreds, even thousands, of pounds for a few photographs under the pressure of a 'hard sell' by the company.

Realising that I'd been conned, I contacted them the next day to cancel my booking and demand my money back. This they refused to do, saying that during the previous telephone conversation I would have been told about their 'no cancellations' policy. Their trump card seemed to be that all calls was recorded by them - the implication being that it was my memory versus their ellusive tape-recorder. They also attempted to guilt-trip me by saying that I had wasted one of their highly-prized bookings. Fortunately I was on my mettle by then, having already contacted Consumer Direct and received sound advice on my rights under the Distance Selling Regulations 2000.

Although the phone conversation came to a dead end (Me: I will get my deposit back. Them: I cannot confirm that you will. Repeat to fade) an email and a letter stating the law seem to have had the desired effect. I should be receiving the deposit I stupidly parted in the next 7-10 days.

Clearly I was a fool to get involved in the first place, vanity won out over wariness and cynicism, but I merely write because I want others to avoid my pratfall. I don't know if you need letters like this where there isn't an issue waiting to be resolved - except that there's a company out there still scamming people, that 's worrying enough.

Yours sincerely,
Q


Of course I put my name on it, I'm not totally loopy; I don't go round calling myself 'Q' in real life, like an MI5 agent, much as Mr Q would adore me if I did.

13 comments:

  1. Ugh! Nasty scammy people. I believe they get away with it because they do actually provide a photo shoot and pictures (which they then pretty much scare you into buying.) Good for you for looking into it and asking for your money back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sara, thanks for popping by!
    Today is potential D-Day for getting the money back from the scheming barstewerds. But then again, it could be next Wednesday. 7-10 working days they say.
    I'll do another vitriolic post on them then, I hope, just as soon as the money's returned (and the bank card's cancelled). I'm no coward but those no-good-boyos will stop at nothing. And neither shall I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Q

    I've done the same stupid thing by giving them my credit card details on the 15/07/10. I've followed your instructions and sent them a letter (using letter 3 on consumer direct.) I also called them the second day. They said they'll return my money in 7-10 working days. Well it's day 10 today! and i've tried tracking the recorded first class mail online and it's still not been received! I don't know what to do..........could you possibly give me some advice.... did you get your money back in the end?
    Thank you so much for your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks.

    Tricky - Royal Mail is to blame if the letter hasn't arrived, but that sounds unlikely given that you sent it by recorded delivery. I hope you get a resolution one way or another - Studio London may be slightly tardy but they should return the money if they receive the letter. Yes, I did get my money back somewhere around the 10th day (I can't recall exactly when). The only other thing I can suggest is that you send (and email) a copy of the same letter again because you may still be within your rights to do so. Check with Consumer Direct what the time limit is for these things.

    I hope you lose nothing to Studio London - do let me know how you get on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Q

    Thank you for your reply! I sent them a very angry email with the letter attached. (Royal mail still hasn't delivered the letter after more than 2 weeks!) Studio London gave me a refund almost instantly. I'd just like to thank you for your blog post once again. Your advice has been very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hail hail, bearer of good news. It is a pleasure to find I can be helpful to people through my otherwise rather hapless blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello im so glad my boyfriend and I wasnt the only ones who had this done to them, we had our appiontment at 2:15 and didnt get home till half 11 because it took ages and then at 10 we said we had to leave becuase of the car park shuts and 11 and we said to the woman even if we take 1 photo it will be nice, she kept satying no we dont have to get down to that yet, and at 10:30 we just brought 6 photos for £90 each of us just to get out of their and get back to walthamstow central to get my boyfriends car, even then because of them we didnt get the car out of their because we got back at 11:15 and had to pay £28 the next day for the car parking

    ReplyDelete
  8. Misery heaped on misery - I hope you can afford £568! Sounds like extortion to me and they should be ashamed of themselves (that goes for the car park people as well).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for this info. I just got called up by them and was immediately suspicious. I said I wasn't interested so didn't get to any money part. But that fact I couldn't remember entering a competition... and then I found this blog. Thank you for crusading!! Did you ever get your money back??

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I did! Read the other post: http://kilburnia.blogspot.com/2010/04/studio-london-scam.html to find out more...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got called by them and was suspicious as they said I had entered my details in this competition in the last 3 years which I couldn't remember. It was when he asked for the deposit I said No Thank You.

    I then found your blog like the previous person and would also like to thank you for informing people on Those Dirty Rotten Scammers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the message, no we never got our money back and we also missed a party and my house that my mother aranged for the family to come over and we could spend time together as my brother lives 3 hours away from my house and we never get to see eachother or spend time as a family.

    We complanied to the company and they are giving us to more photos for the convinence

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear Lord!! They just called me and I was at the local library without my wallet on me so I didn't have any debit or credit card details on me. Thank God I came home and Googled them. OMG, this is horrific!

    Someone posted the pictures they took and they charged SEVENTY for ONE photo and it was highly mediocre.

    Glad I found your site and it cleared matters up for me. Keep rescuing other damsels from probable distress!! :-) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete